I’m Sam Mills and I’m a 23-year old presenter, producer, and journalist with a passion for finding fresh angles and creating engaging content.
I’ve completed both a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business double degree at Swinburne University, majoring in Journalism and Marketing respectively, and the Graduate Diploma in Journalism at RMIT University.
While I love sport, I also enjoy writing and talking about music, politics, transport, history, and more generally, pop culture.
I CURRENTLY WORK AS A JOURNALIST AT WIN NEWS IN BALLARAT.
Commencing in December 2020, I source story ideas and angles, find and conduct interviews, script the piece using AP ENPS, and present the package through a combination of voice and a piece-to-camera.
I ALSO SPEND TIME AT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK (SEN). HERE I:
- Use the Zetta play-out system to put sports broadcasts and live radio to air on SEN 1116 and other radio stations around the country that take syndication.
- Manage talent and ensure credit quotas are met
- Casually host of the ‘The Overnight Crowd’ and ‘Tradies News’ programs on SEN 1116 which includes sourcing audio and interviews as well as producing an engaging show rundown that provides opportunity for talkback calls and social interaction.
- Write, present, and edit weekend sports updates that air during live coverage of various football broadcasts including AFL Nation, 3AW, 6PR, FiveAA and KRock.
- Produce regular news content for the SEN website. This includes sourcing news, identifying an angle, writing, and formatting the article with Contentful, and posting to social media with an appealing hook.
- Use Mailchimp to send EDMs and Canva to create graphics as well as using SEO techniques to ensure maximum drive to content. Comfortable using WordPress, Bitly, Tweetdeck, and Instagram/Facebook Creator Studio.
- Regular contributor to the AFL Record with weekly match previews.
I also freelance and have produced written, audio, video and social content for organisations such as:
- Melbourne Victory: Producing news articles, features, and match reports for the club website. Role includes extensive use of Adobe Photoshop
- Football Victoria: Providing live commentary of NPL men’s and women’s matches
- Inside Sport Magazine: Liaised with AFL media managers and conducted interviews with AFL players, coaches, and CEOs to produce feature articles.
- Baseball Australia: Produced written and social media content during the 2019/20 season.
- The Roar: Produced news videos using Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro as well as written content.
- SYN Media: Present and produce radio and television programs for SYN
- Frankston Dolphins FC: Was the club’s head of social content during the 2018 VFL season; the Dolphins return to the league
I also held positions as part of the host broadcast team with Tennis Australia at the Australian Open from 2017-2020, the 2020 ATP Cup, and with NEP at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.
Resume and My Work
A copy of my CV is available here: SAM MILLS OCTOBER 2020
Below is my latest video showreel and radio demo