I’m Sam Mills and I’m a 24-year old presenter, producer, and journalist with a passion for finding fresh angles and creating engaging content.
I’ve completed both a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business double degree at Swinburne University, majoring in Journalism and Marketing respectively, and the Graduate Diploma in Journalism at RMIT University.
While I love sport, I also enjoy writing and talking about music, politics, transport, history, and more generally, pop culture.
I’M CURRENTLY A REPORTER AT 9NEWS ADELAIDE
I began this role in July 2022, assembling packages for the 5pm and 6pm bulletins.
I WAS PREVIOUSLY BUREAU CHIEF AND A JOURNALIST AT WIN NEWS IN BALLARAT.
Commencing in December 2020 at WIN News Ballarat, I sourced story ideas and angles, found and conducted interviews, scripted the story using AP ENPS, and presented packages through a combination of voice and a piece-to-camera. In June 2021 I moved to WIN News Illawarra before returning to Ballarat in November 2021 to take up the Bureau Chief position.
I ALSO SPENT TIME AT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK (SEN). HERE I:
- Used the Zetta play-out system to put sports broadcasts and live radio to air on SEN 1116 and other radio stations around the country that take syndication.
- Managed talent and ensure credit quotas are met
- Casually hosted of the ‘The Overnight Crowd’ and ‘Tradies News’ programs on SEN 1116 which includes sourcing audio and interviews as well as producing an engaging show rundown that provides opportunity for talkback calls and social interaction.
- Wrote, presented, and edited weekend sports updates that air during live coverage of various football broadcasts including AFL Nation, 3AW, 6PR, FiveAA and KRock.
- Produced regular news content for the SEN website. This included sourcing news, identifying an angle, writing, and formatting the article with Contentful, and posting to social media with an appealing hook.
- Used Mailchimp to send EDMs and Canva to create graphics as well as using SEO techniques to ensure maximum drive to content. Comfortable using WordPress, Bitly, Tweetdeck, and Instagram/Facebook Creator Studio.
- Regularly contributed to the AFL Record with weekly match previews.
I also freelance and have produced written, audio, video and social content for organisations such as:
- Melbourne Victory: Producing news articles, features, and match reports for the club website. Role includes extensive use of Adobe Photoshop
- Football Victoria: Providing live commentary of NPL men’s and women’s matches
- Inside Sport Magazine: Liaised with AFL media managers and conducted interviews with AFL players, coaches, and CEOs to produce feature articles.
- Baseball Australia: Produced written and social media content during the 2019/20 season.
- The Roar: Produced news videos using Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro as well as written content.
- SYN Media: Present and produce radio and television programs for SYN
- Frankston Dolphins FC: Was the club’s head of social content during the 2018 VFL season; the Dolphins return to the league
I also held positions as part of the host broadcast team with Tennis Australia at the Australian Open from 2017-2020, the 2020 ATP Cup, and with NEP at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.
Resume and My Work
A copy of my CV is available here: SAM MILLS 2021
Below is my latest video showreel and radio demo