I’m Sam Mills, age 20. I’m studying a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business double degree at Swinburne University, majoring in Journalism and Marketing respectively. It has been my dream to pursue a career in journalism ever since a drama project in grade 3, where I essentially played the role of my inspiration Eddie McGuire in a re-creation of ‘The Footy Show’.
While sport is my favourite interest, I also enjoy writing and talking about music, politics, transport, history, and even more generally, pop culture.
I currently contribute to three different media organisations:
- AFL Draft Central – Writing on the superstars of tomorrow in the TAC Cup, focusing on the Dandenong Stingrays.
- RPP FM – Speaking and writing about the big issues on the Mornington Peninsula. Olympic bronze medalist Alec Potts is one personality I’ve interviewed in my time at the station.
- Frankston Dolphins Football Club – Assisting in the production of online content from video to social media updates through the 2018 VFL season.
I have also held positions as part of the host broadcast team at the Australian Open in 2017 & 2018, and the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.
In addition to these roles, I also manage four diverse social media accounts:
- Eklektor – A recently launched Youtube channel focusing on pop culture (with a strong focus on music) with a view to evolving into a website.
- Eklektor Sport – A project I started in 2008 involving the upload of sports preview and review videos to YouTube. Formerly known as SportsGalore.
- SwoopCentral – To be launched in 2019, a social media/podcast/video channel to offer a fans perspective on the Collingwood Football Club
- thatSAMkid – A YouTube channel I run that showcases a lighter (some would say angrier) side of me.